I didn't see exceptional large animals, fortunately the little things are always there to provide quite a show. A short list of better known birds: Cocoi Heron, Striated Heron, Black and Turkey Vultures, Bat Falcon, the spiky bird in the picture can easily be recognized as a Hoatzin, Striped and Crested Owls, several types of Aracari and Toucan, Ringed and Crimson-crested Woodpeckers, the beautiful Plum Throated and Spangled Cotingas, Violaceus Jay, Opal Rumped Tanager and many other lovely little birds that are too shadowed and move too quick for me to get a good ID on.
Ah but what about nonbirds Dave?? Red Howler Monkeys, Squirrel Monkeys, Night Monkeys (sorry Karla no good pics). The frogs in the pictures are a species of Monkey frog, Ruby Backed Poison Dart Frog and a species I'll have to get back to you on-I'm working on it. We saw caiman under the main lodge regularly-Spectacled, pygmy and occasionally a black. That sweet boa is an Amazon Tree Boa we stumbled upon during a three hour night hike-Big Thanks to Elicio who took me out-monkey frog (green one) and many outstanding insect sightings that we didn't take pictures of. He has great eyes (even in the dark) and plenty of patience to take me around. Oh and a ton of knowledge he is willing to share.
To round out the mammals I saw agoutis (yeah they hang around the lodge eating the pretty plants), Kingkajou-right at sunset, two-toed sloth?? It was a long ways off. I would have thought it was just the the tree trunk except when I came back to look in the scope again 5 min later it had moved and things looked different. A big thanks to Venancio who searched the jungle relentlessly with me even while I was playing with the little bugs. He came up with a family of 5 or so Coatis traveling and feeding-a rare treat they get scared off easy. Oh and just cause it was the jungle, I spotted an Anaconda near the lodge. Nothing Hollywood, just a little 1.5-2m specimen. Still cool. It was really pure luck, I was looking at a Caiman Lizard eating Apple Snails when the mud moved. The little guys blend in really well. I guess at that size they can still be eaten by something else.
I want to go back because there are 1000's of species that can be seen in the jungle-large and small- and I would like to see new ones and some of my favorites for a 2nd or 3rd time. If you go to Ecuador or anywhere with a primary rainforest, you gotta go. Special place, very special.
I hope you enjoy the pics. I miss it already. I am back home in Wisconsin. Saw my first high school soccer game tonight. It was a great time. I look forward to training tomorrow with my mens team. And most of all catching up with those I haven't seen in a while.
Quito friends, take care, I'll be back sometime to visit. I enjoyed your company and hospitality very much. Tim and Erin are two of the greatest roommates I've had right there with Kevin and Alex. I had to watch this season's Earl with dinner the other night because I didn't know what else to do. I love you guys and Bali.
3 comments:
awesome pics Dave - way to go
Wow Dave! These are great pics. You have a great eye and mad skills with the camera. Thanks for sharing and congrats on what sounds and looks like wonderful past few months.
Hope to see you sometime soon.
Dave, I know I got to see those pics once, but looking at them again was amazing. Way cool man. I´ll send your salsa home with Ben:)
-T
Post a Comment