
So Saturday we took a little trip down the west side of the Andes to the sleepy hamlet of Mindo. Mindo is in the cloud forest. Which means it gets wet often from rain and, more appropriately, low flying clouds. What this provides for is an amazing variety of orchids to thrive in the all levels of the forest. We started out at the edge of town and saw a gorgeous collection of orchids-some of which were in full bloom. We nearly missed a couple of orchids because their flowers looked a lot like leaves.

They also had a collection of bird feeders and a covered porch to sit at to watch the hummingbirds come and feed. I was distracted by the flowers, so please check in with Daria for her gorgeous hummingbird photos. Ok, so spanish speakers are asking "Why is this titled Mariposas?" Well turns out they have some outstanding butterfly gardens as well. Here are a couple shots. As you see, the mariposas were quite beautiful and willing to pose nicely.
It was only a day trip, but we will be heading back sometime. There are some beautiful hikes available to some cascades, river floating and one of our co-teachers and his wife just opened a B and B, The Dragonfly Inn, that is lovely. And I would gladly spend some more time photographing the plants and animals. Hey, maybe I'll take some hummingbird pictures too. As for people photos, keep waiting, I don't do them often. Love ya mom!

2 comments:
Purty pictures, Dave! I was also happy to hear that you acquired some good beer; always an important facet of any location. Things are well here, and can't wait to hear more about your school adventures. Say hi to Ben and Daria and soon I'll be hitting the Skype properly. : ) Leann
Stunning shots Dave. You always had a great eye with the kamirah.
xo
Post a Comment