Monday, January 28, 2008

Life is good

Yeah, so I won't be posting everyday, but I will try and get y'all caught up.  

So Monday was my first day at school.  A school bus comes by and picks up.  I will try and get a photo of us sometime.  We get to school, pass the security guards, and check in to see if we need to do any subbing.  The teacher I am replacing, Kourtney has been wonderful to work with.  I got to meet all the kids and many more teachers at the school.  We started a new project researching a natural resource, hopefully leading up to addressing an environmental issue in a powerpoint presentation.  It has been a challenge to adjust to working with 7th graders, but we are getting along well and learning a lot about each other.  

The school day is tough to get used to.  We are on a 6 day rotation with each day totally different from the others.  I am fortunate that I actually see all of my classes everyday!  As for lunch, it depends on the day in the schedule.  The great thing is that their cafeteria food is out of this world.  Local flavors, fresh soup and the most delicious homemade potato chips ever.  Oh yea, it costs $1.80!!!  I'm still not very good at ordering, but I am good at recognizing the food on the menu.  Apparently, I can read spanish ok.

After school, we get a bus ride home again.  Unless, of course, it is Wednesday and I get to go play soccer against the groundskeepers.  It is fun to experience the different style.  So far I haven't felt like my lungs are bleeding, but I definitely can't sprint at all.  I was able to put together some nice combos with Ben and the other gringos.  

Jump ahead to the weekend.  Friday night, we played some Citadels-I finally won against Ben and Daria!  Then we hit up some local sushi.  Gotta love a coastal countries-Delicious and Fresh!!  
Saturday, was a bit lazy.  Get some school work done, surf the net and stroll the town a little bit learning some new tiendas to shop at.  A bouquet of flowers here is $1 so we like to keep some in the living room here.  They also stay fresh for weeks, I guess because they don't have to travel all the way to the states.  Sat. night, an open mic was set up at the pizza shop two doors up the hill from me.  Small place, almost all teachers from school.  The talent level was great.  A great intimate setting with cheap beverages.  I look forward to the next one.  After the performances, a couple of us were motivated to keep the evening going, so we went down to the Mariscal to some dance club.  1st we stopped to refuel at a taco dive, then got our groove on.  Good tunes, dancing-yeah I said dancing-and interesting people.  Needless to stay I got home very late (3am) and Sunday ended up a wash.  

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Dave!

I love your blog. It sounds like an amazing experience--thanks for sharing it with us! I wish I could come to visit you before you leave.

Love!

Jan

Unknown said...

Pictures of you on the school bus would be fine BUT pics of you dancing would be even better!

:)
Mercedes

Dave Borslien said...

please Mercedes, that is not a pretty sight

Anonymous said...

those pics might not be pretty but I agree with mercedes, those are the ones I want to see! I'm sure they're better than the pics of me dancing and bartending in the lovely leg brace I was still sporting last weekend!

Anonymous said...

DAVE!!!!!

This sounds so cool and I am so excited for your adventure and life down south. It sounds amazing. I am bookmarking your site now and will be back early and often.

Dancing Dave
at the rave
is enough
to make me save
all my dough
so I can go
and witness that
amazing show.

Much love to you Dave.

Hi Jan and Mercedes!

Matthew
xo